Thursday, November 11, 2010

IQFHouston--It's All In The Details.

Skitchy edge with pink chain stitching/vines rambling through.

I love going to the International Quilt Festival! It's a tradition. In the last 11 years, I've only missed maybe 2 years. There's always something new to see, a new idea to spark my desire to get busy and sew. New tools, notions, fabric, wool! This year was especially fun since I was able to go with some favorite family to enjoy the show together! We spent two full days enjoying each other's company and enjoying all that there was to see!

In looking through my pictures, I've decided that I notice the details. I took a lot of pictures of details of quilts. An interesting border, a bazillion tiny pieces courthouse-stepped together, fun embellishments. I wonder if the artist/quilter had every detail in their original plan or added and changed as they went.

Here's some of my pictures of small parts of quilts that show off different details. Enjoy!

I'll post again soon with complete pictures of my favorite quilts.


The above quilt is a beach scene and the octagon you see is the top of a beach umbrella.

This colorful quilt had close to 23,000 pieces, all arranged in tiny courthouse steps. I wonder if this quilter ever wants to make this pattern again.

I loved the tiny, close quilting in this quilt. There was a LOT of tiny, close quilting in the quilts there. Is there a term for this? "Tiny, close quilting" is a lot to say.

I LOVE whimsical quilts and this one was very eye catching. Wool-felt pom-pom's and sparklies all over! Great colors, too! It looks like a party!

The selvage edge quilt. Very clever idea!


It's hard to see but the quilting on this pink car was incredible! Very fun quilt, too!


It was hard to stop looking at this one. The muted tones made you want to search for the details.


I loved all of the piecing that went into this quilt.


This font quilt was amazing! Besides being a unique idea, the shading/color changing of browns on the letters was incredible.


It's hard to see in this picture, but there are little scallops all around the edge of the flower petals and all of the quilting is amazing. When you use light thread on dark fabric, you can't hide anything!


I love reds and browns together so I love this quilt muchly! Look at the loops and buttons all along the edge. It was like an updated red-work quilt.

This quilt had a gazillion yo-yo's. I've sewn yo-yo's before and it's not something that just zips up fast. It's all hand-sewn and then hand-sewn together. And this was a big quilt.
Something drew my eye to this quilt--the yellows and blues, the small perfect circle berries, the little birds. It's a traditional-looking comfort quilt.

I LOVE the rich colors in this quilt. And one day I will make a quilt with vines and leaves in the border!

I really like this stripey quilt and one day I will have a quilt like this in my guest room. The entire queen-sized quilt--skinny stripes. Maybe different colors, but this stripey look is something I've always loved.

1 comment:

pinksuedeshoe said...

I wish I had taken more pictures of teeny little details. I have mostly pics of the full quilts. I wish I had taken the time to snap a few hundred more to catch some of those teeny little amazing details. I'm glad you did :o)