Thursday, March 11, 2010

To Wash or Not To Wash, That is the Question



Yes, that is my 20 year-old Kenmore washer. Still going strong! Fashioned with a Roswell, NM, alien magnet. Very chic in the laundry room.

So, the question is, "Should I wash my fabric before I use it?" There is no right or wrong answer to this question. I think I'll just put some information out there --things I've heard or read about-- and you can make up your own mind.

  • If you are using red fabric you should prewash with a cup of vinegar to set the color. Just in case. Even humidity can make it bleed.
  • You should always prewash your fabric but don't use detergent because it will wash out the sizing.
  • You should always prewash with detergent to wash out the sizing.
  • If you do wash it with detergent, press your fabric with spray starch to put sizing back onto it.
  • Always wash flannels or anything that will shrink. Actually, wash flannels twice--and buy more than the pattern asks for. It shrinks a lot.
  • Wash your fabric if it will be in a quilt that will need to be washed. Mostly baby quilts and quilts used by kids.
  • Wash your fabric if it has a looser weave. This will tighten it up (shrink it a bit).
  • All of the cutters in the quilt shops say that you don't have to wash your fabric anymore. The "good stuff" won't shrink and the colors are set.

So, what's the answer? You tell me.

4 comments:

pcb said...

Well - I believe it was my question to begin with - and you never did say what your expert opinion is - what do you do? I think I trust you more than most sewing magazines.

calmrapids said...

So, what do I do?

I wash all of my fabric as soon as I buy it--UNLESS it's for an auction quilt. I do think the color is a little bit brighter if it's not washed and so I think it will show better. And I think the people that buy it will want it for display.

And I don't press it until right before I use it--because it's going to crease in storage anyway.

Elder and Sister Birt said...

I have heard much debate on this subject from many quilt experts...I think the bottom line is that it will always be a debate even among the professionals. I have used both methods. My "rule-of-thumb" is either wash all fabric used in a single quilt or none of it. Happy quilting.

Nima said...

thank you so much for this tips...i need to visit you more often to get this tips...