Wednesday, March 17, 2010

C8's Quilt: Changing Horses

As a teenager, I lived for a few years with my grandparents. My Grandpa D loved to throw out sayings and cliches that he'd grown attached to. We'd always hear one of his favorites during Yahtzee games. Example: I'd roll a 1,2,4,5,6 and decide to go for a small straight. I'd throw the 1 and 2 back in to try and get a 3. The roll would produce two 5's and so I'd change my mind and go for 5's. When something like this happened, we could always count on Grandpa to caution us, "Don't change your horses in midstream." And he would always say it in kind of a "you're going to be sorry" voice. Maybe he was trying to teach us to stick to something, but sometimes you don't know how things are going to go until after you get it started.

This week I finished about 1/4 of the blocks for Cait's quilt. And I'm realizing that I don't like one of the dark greens and two of the dark blues. They're a great color but are too dark and stand out too much. So, I'm glad there was extra fabric and I'm going to cut some more of the lighter colors to make up for it. Yes, it's more work and yes, it'll slow me down a bit, and yes, it might get messy, but in the long run, it's a good choice.

I'm changing my horses for the better. Sorry, Grandpa.

3 comments:

pcb said...

Well, I can't say that I can see what you are talking about here with the colors - I think it looks awesome! The way I looked at it one color stood out and then when I looked again another did and so on, which I really like. But it is yours to create and if you don't mind the extra work then you should do it.

pinksuedeshoe said...

I see what you mean about the green one. It is going to look beautiful when you are done, I love the pink in the center, it is just darling. C8 has great taste, and so do you!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors - is this the old version or the new one? I think the "stand-out" colors make it awesome - but it will look great if you change it too - I'm sure of it....did Erin tell you we went to the fabric shop where I take my class last weekend? She said you would have LOVED it - it's totally your style of fabrics. It was so fun having her - she's so great. Good luck with the quilt - I just cut out all the pieces for a new one for Ash's b-day. I have to embroider a center for each block, though - so it will be a while. :)

Love ya and your blog!