Monday, April 12, 2010

E's Show and Tell--Auction Quilt

This is a quilt my cousin, E, made. I love the scrappy look it has and it is an ingenious way to use up lots of little scraps! I also love how the quilting and attaching squares is all-in-one (check out the detail picture below)! It's a fantastic way to put a quilt together! Here's her story:

I made this quilt in March for an auction to benefit a family who's baby daughter was diagnosed with Schizencephaly. This is a syndrome where the two sides of the brain don't communicate with each other and can cause a lot of problems including frequent seizures. Baby M has three older sisters, and was traveling hundreds of miles across four states to a clinic to try and help her little body control the terrible seizures she had, leaving her father and sisters at home. Her grandfather organized an auction to try and help with some of the medical bills. I got an email about little M and knew I could do something to help.

I made this quilt entirely from my scrap box. The front and back are old sheets that I've been saving for a really good project. A lot of these colorful scraps were given to me when I very first decided to sew by two amazing women, who the quilt is named for. They are full of strength and faith and love, and if little M and her family can posess any of those qualities I know they will be able to make it through all the medical issues they will be dealing with. This quilt sold at the auction for $95 and I couldn't be more pleased.


E: I'm in love with how you do so much to help others. You hear of someone in need and don't even think twice about doing something to help--you're the first to sign up! You're a great example to all of us! Thanks for sharing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! How do you do it? I'd love to learn? It's so cool looking! Wow. Great job E!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice quilting job. I just found this site and am enjoying it. thanks

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and Liz, been meaning to tell ya - I found out on Sat that the "lady" who does that class here had 478 people sign up this last year, and over the entire year, has only had 7 drop out. 478!! Think of that girl...Seriously. Just think.